Sunday, April 4, 2010

Week 12 Post

Comments 4 Teachers
Copy of my comment for Andy, a ELT professional
Hi!
My name is Monica and I am in Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed reading your latest post. It really sounded like it was a great weekend of learning and professional development. Great Post!

Comments 4Kids
This week I left a comment to Kahui, a student form New Zealand. He talked about going to the park and drew a picture of the park he went to.

Regular blog assignment
This week's blog assignment was about Mr. Chamberlain's blog post on a child named Kaia and how he communicated with her and her father. His blog showed how his class used voice treads to make communicating a lot better with a child that could not read quit yet. This type of technology has opened many doors for not only kids that can't quit read yet, but for the adult that can't read or people with disabilities. I think using this type of technology will be great for everyone.

The next blog I read was Kaia's father's blog and how the concern was about letting small children on the internet. This is my concern during this whole process of learning technology in this class. I feel that while technology is the future and it does make learning more interesting; do we take it to far? I know there are certain security measures that teachers can take to make sure that they're students identities are protected. However, there are so many internet 'scum" out there that can find out anything they want. I believe that if you want to give a child a blog I think it should be between that child and there parents.

2 comments:

  1. YOU are so right... I have a 5 year old and I am scared to death to even put her photo on the interent in my social networking sites... I don't know I'm still a little skittish about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooksy: I wrote this comment to Michelle Jackson in reponse to her comment on Amber Fleming's blog. Now you get it also.

    Monica AND Brooksy: You admit you are "overprotective." Have you done the Scott McLeod assignment yet? I am eager to see your responses to his arguments about internet safety. What are the "bad effects"? List them for me. I have shown you some of the "good effects." Then make a comparison. And report what you find. We should, all of us including me, make decisions using data where possible!

    ReplyDelete