Sunday, February 14, 2010

Week 5 Post

N.P.R. on Wikipedia
When I read the post about Wikipedia, I thought it was a step in the right direction to maybe one day students can use Wikipedia as a viable source. I have found that Wikipedia is a source of finding links to other sources of a subject I have needed to research. Most professors will loath at the idea of students using Wikipedia.com as a source. I hope that the site will improve to where schools will recognize the site as a viable source.

What I've Learned This Year
In this blog Mr. McClung talks about being a first year teacher and how to adapt to your surroundings and to not beat yourself up over a lesson. The whole point of it was to become a great teacher...BUT HOW? He talks about communication, getting back to the basics, to always remember who your audience is (students not teachers), to be responsible, and to never stop learning. This was a great assignment I learned so much. I hope to be like him my first year and beyond.

Comments 4 Kids
This week I read a post by Youngjin form Avoca West School. He wrote about a book he just read( I'm sure we all have) The Westing Game. He was so excited about the book. His favorite character was Turtle. The interesting thing about that was Turtle was my favorite when I read it in elementary school. I love doing these small comments for these student I know they really enjoy it.

5 comments:

  1. I agree, Mr.McClung makes a great point on how to always remember who your audience is. It seems like many people don't feel like they don't need to continue learning after they have recieve their degree, and if you ask me, those are the teachers to will fail at teaching their student's properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with ya on Wikipedia. I like using Wikipedia, it is easy to use, follow and read. I hope it becomes more reliable too. Yes, every future teacher needs to read Mr. McClung's blog, he is just awesome and a great role model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that some students should careful what they pick out to use as their sources on wikipedia and maybe one day it will be reliable. I'm glad that you are having connections with these kids that we are commenting on. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lessons we can learn from the people already in the field of education is invaluable. They have been in the battle and have stories to help the rest of us. With the internet, we have been able to reach out to world and take information that would take us years to obtain and use it know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I disagree that wikipedia should be used as a variable source one day because the facts always changes and I do not like that. I mean, how do I know if I am getting the right information I need for educational purposes? I agree with everything that Mr. McClung said in his blog. I will take everything into considerations that he said. Great Blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete