Saturday, January 16, 2010

Week 1 Posts

Mr. Winkle Wakes

After watching the short video, it was a wake-up call to me as a future teacher to show that technology in our world is being minimally used in the classroom. When Mr. Winkle woke up after his hundred year sleep he went to a business where technology was rampant throughout the offices. Next, Mr. Winkle went to a hospital and also was haunted by the new devices such as a ventilator, computers, and other devices that are used for care of patients. Last, he traveled to a school which he enjoyed very much because it was familiar to him. Children sat at their desk, took notes, and listen to the teacher lecture. Mr. Winkle liked being in school because none of the technology that was used in the office and the hospital was being used in the classroom.
After watching this, I became very aware of how many schools (one of which I graduated from) is like the school in the video. How can I as a future history teacher incorporate technology in my classroom? I would hope to have a smart board and computers to show my students how interactive history can be. I would like to use sites as YouTube for videos on subjects of history or have interactive study guides on the smart board to interest the student while at the same time they are learning and understanding the subject. I am so glad that I was assigned to watch this short video. It got right to the point and made me think on how I could be a better teacher.

Did You Know 3.0

After watching this short clip I was astounded by the technology of this age. I makes realize how much I am missing by going through my day to day life and cheating myself of not learning something new and exploring what is out there. I now have a want to enhance and broaden my horizons in technology. Knowing this will will help me professionally and personally.
In the video it told how now teachers are challenged to teach technologies that have been invented so that we can solve problems that have not been invented yet. The video also stated by 2013 there will be a supercomputer that will exceed the computational capabilities of the human brain. This made me question how that will be possible since it is the human brain that came up with the creation of the computer (Maybe someone will explain to me how that is possible). Knowing all this information on current and future technology, I hope to keep my students as current as possible so that they can become more independent on technology than I am as of now.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity

Education has been know to do two things: 1. educating children for work 2. improve on their academic abilities. I asked myself why is this? Why do we box children into a academic society to make them conform to the ideals of what society has expected students to exceed at. Have we as educators and future educators guilty of choking out creativity?
I was very intrigued when Sir Ken Robinson stated that, " If we're not prepared to be wrong, we'll never come up with anything original". As a future educators there is a certain bar that is set, and that is for us to be very knowledgeable in field of expertise. However, as our knowledge increases we also need to be aware of our creativity and to not lose our focus of being a great and original teacher and that our students will remember the knowledge that they received in our classrooms. My hope is for me to never fall form humility and to also understand my students originality and make it prosper into an understanding and enjoying learning.

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

This short clip on a teacher in South Georgia has taught her students how to be explorers in technology. Teacher, Vicki Davis has successfully taught rural South Georgian teenagers how to create, explore the realms of technology, and interact with people form around the world using just classroom desktop computers. Her use of web sites to communicate to other students around the world is inspiring.
What I received from this video was how after hearing Sir Robinson's speech about creativity then getting to see students expanding their minds and not getting spoon fed information was intriguing. Also what was clever was how they got to travel and meet other students form other nations that were expanding their technology horizons as well.

1 comment:

  1. Monica,

    You made me think of something very important when learning about technology .... Motivation. If you can find something that interests you, it can propel the learning process exponentially! I think that you will find some of the things we learn in this class to be of great interest to you and you will take it and run. That is something we need to keep in mind when teaching future students. Try and expose them to a number of different technologies and then let them find the one that sparks their interest. That is the format for this class! Thanks, Dr. Strange.

    ReplyDelete