Sunday, January 24, 2010

Week 2 Post

Michael Wesh: A vision f Students Today
After watching the video, I was surprisingly not shocked by the subject of this video. I have grown up in this same atmosphere of education as they were portraying. However, in my college journey I do see a change in using technology in the classroom. Technology interest students, we are entertained by technology and how it makes our life more convenient and entertaining.
If I had the chance, I would like to ask my former teachers,"Why is education so concreted in the idea of paper and pencil when our future careers are dependent on us being technologically literate?". As students we learn, I would say, about 80 to 90% of technology from outside the classroom. I hope to be a teacher who will always keep in mind what mine and my students future is dependent on and that's technology.

It's Not About Technology
I have to agree with the writer, Kelly Hines, of this blog and how she points out that their is more than technology to be learned by teachers. She points out four points on how to become a great teacher for the 21st century without solely basing it o technology. The four points are: Teachers must be learners, Learning ans teaching are not the same, Technology is useless with out good teaching, and Be a 21st Century Teacher without technology.
All four made me realize that to become a great teacher I need to be student myself throughout my career as a teacher. I also need to be aware that if my students are not learning that I am not teaching the way I need to be. I always need to questioned myself on how I can get my students to enjoy and understand what I am teaching.

Fish: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher

In a response to the title, I would say yes that you need to be a technologically literate teacher in today's educational arena. However, I do believe we as teachers need to be a well rounded teacher which includes basic older principles of education. I do not want the computer to rule my classroom. I hope to be a teacher who embrasses technology but who is always conscious of my students learning and understanding my teaching.
Do I agree with the thought of a teacher who is technologically illiterate the same as a teacher 30 years ago who couldn't read or write? Not really! I believe technology is important to get our students ready for their future careers but not make where that's all were worried about in their education.

Gary Hayes Socail Media Count

I was astounded by all the numbers being rapidly addedto sites like Facebook and Twitter. As a future teacher I ask myself. " Where do I, as a teacher, fit in to my students technological life?". I hope to use sites like Facebook as a group page to put maps and study guides on it where my students can communicate with me and each other on the history lesson that I teach. I hope to be technologically literate not for me...but for my students.

2 comments:

  1. Jamie, using Facebook as a teaching tool is a great idea. Since most students use social networking sites for entertainment, it would make sense to use its popularity for education as well.
    I also agree with you on needing an acual teacher in the classroom. Computers can only do so much, and are incapable of understanding complex questions on topics that confuse students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica, sorry for the name confusion. I was also posting on Jamie's blog. I guess I switched them.

    ReplyDelete